The Rickshaw Diaries

Updates and musings from my trip to Africa ...and formerly a documentation/narrative of my trip to India and South East Asia (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand) with three friends and an open mind.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Divali in India

Just when I thought India couldn’t get any more colorful (some might say tacky) and crazier, it does. Divali came last Saturday and boy was it nutty. The people here have said that it is similar to Christmas in Canada; except that we celebrate in our homes with family and they let loose on the street with cows. All the towns were decorated with pictures of different Gods, many men were half naked painted orange with tails (we learnt later on that they were dressed up as Hanuman the monkey God), flowers were strung everywhere (there were so many on some autorickshaws that I swear they couldn’t see a thing), and fireworks were going off at every street corner. The four of us just so happened to be on an overnight bus that night so we got to see celebrations in every town as we went along. We saw little 5 year old Billie up on the roof lighting off his first fire cracker as his parents proudly watched from below. Older kids were playing a more sophisticated game trying to get their firework to explode under our bus which meant a delightful but constant hue of green, yellow and red shooting up from every corner of the bus. And the bus driver himself was bobbing along to loud Hindi music sung in the key of “off” rolling the bus around the firecrackers like he was in a video game. I’m honestly not being sarcastic when I say that I love this place. Jenn and I are starting to get really sad about leaving in just two days. This place has taught me so much and I have much more to learn.

While we were planning on heading back to Delhi, in a split second decision, we got on a bus and are now a little further North in Amristar sleeping in the Sikh Golden Temple. I had my first random scooter ride (no worries, I side saddled like all the other Indian women) and just returned from seeing the closing of the Pakistan-India border which was quite the spectacle. Tonight will be the second last night in India which will be spent enjoying the people, tasting the food and discovering the secrets that makes this incredible country what it is.

3 Comments:

Blogger ktsang said...

When are you guys coming back?

Wow...aren't you lucky Shaina, World Cup in Europe AND Divali in India...just wait it out until the new year and try to hit up Chinese New Year in China ! hahaha

btw...everybody else must be busy with stuff like jobs and things...cuz i'm the only one who replies hahaha

7:28 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Jenn heads home on the 19th of December and I will be home on the 23rd of December. Couldn't stay abroad for Christmas! Although Chinese New Years could be fun...

2:19 AM  
Blogger Amar said...

your adventures continue to amaze me and make me jealous!! just have to keep telling myself the golden temple can't be that much cooler than my office...right?
im so glad you guys have had such a blast, but youve got a lot more to go and im sure the rest of asia will not disapoint...
keep us desk jockeys (and tsang) posted, bon voyage!!

PS
hows your hindi? you can teach me a thing or two when you get back to calgary ;)

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home